Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 1

Released: November 19, 2010
Writer: Steve Kloves
Director: David Yates
Rating: PG-13
Synopsis: As Harry races against time and evil to destroy the Horcruxes, he uncovers the existence of the three most powerful objects in the wizarding world: the Deathly Hallows.

This past weekend, I saw 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1' with my family. I had mixed reviews on it, actually. I regret not rewatching the 6th movie in the series before going to see this newest one, but we mostly went on a whim, so I didn't have time to rewatch it :( And I haven't seen 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince' since the first time I saw it in the theater.. so it's been a while! I think if I had taken the time to watch the 6th movie, I would have understood a lot more.
I was pleasantly surprised on how funny some parts of the movie were! The majority of the film was definitely heavy stuff, but the light-hearted jokes spread throughout definitely lightened the mood ;)
Overall, I wasn't extremely pleased with the movie. I would probably go as far as to say it was a few levels above mediocre. Despite how everyone else I've talked to absolutely loved it, I wasn't as overjoyed as they were. Would I watch it again? Yes, I probably would just to see if I could catch and understand things I didn't get the first time. That always happens when you watch a movie: even if you've seen it a million times and can quote every line by heart, I guarantee you will catch at least ONE thing you've never seen before!
I think the biggest factor as to why I didn't really understand it was because I haven't read the books. I read the first one, and got to Chapter 11 of the second one before it was due back to the library. That's when I turned it in, unfinished, and never got it again. I have trouble reading books after I've seen the movie, because then I have the movie characters and the movie plot in my head the whole time and I know what is going to happen, which makes it not very fun! I know that if I had read the books, I would definitely understand more and get a lot more information than just the movie alone gives you, but I've never been committed to get through the whole series.
I used to stay really up-to-date on the whole series, but as the kids got older, the storyline got darker, and it became more and more "wizardy" with a whole cast of different characters each time, I found that over time I became lost and was then just watching the movies for the sake of watching them, not because I necessarily understood them. Does that make sense? I hope so! I think I really started getting lost and falling behind on around the 5th movie, 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.' Who knows? Maybe one of these days I'll pick up the books again and give 'em a shot (But I make no promises ;D)!
I'm not trying to sound too harsh, so my final review would be that it wasn't my favorite of the whole Harry Potter series, I didn't understand everything in it (for example, I don't even know what a Horcruxe is- and that was what the whole plot of the movie was about..), but if given the opportunity, I would watch it again.
P.S. An added bonus was that I had my favorite candy during the movie-- GOBSTOPPERS!!! nom nom nom :)

Wizards and Gobstoppers, Victoria ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment